Thursday, January 27, 2011

to hang or not to hang?

THAT is the question...

I finished ZaZen 2 weeks ago, so why haven't I hung it on the wall yet?
IMG_2158
I told you all I loved it.  I loved the medicine she offers. I love the concept.  What's the deal?

Then, I realize...
I don't really like it.
Well, I didn't like.

It was piled on my sewing table at bedtime with all the things that inevitably live on my sewing table while I sleep and while it isn't being used.

I haven't even put a sleeve on it or a label yet.

Why?

I don't really like this quilt.
Well, I didn't like it.

I love the concept. I love the image.  What's holding me back?
sitting
Well, I like it for what it is.
I like that I learned more about thread painting.
threadwork1

threadwork2
I like the quilting and I learned I need to think about what the quilting is going to look like before I get there.
quilting1
But, truthfully, this quilt is just a study...

Or these are the things I tell myself...
Until I put it on the wall.

Then, everything shifts.
I look up at it.
I stare at it.
I begin to appreciate it.
Then, I find myself proud of it.
zazen
It isn't just a study.
It was a process that got me here and now.
And best of all, it's pretty cool to me.

It moved me.
It shook me.
Now, it's hanging on my wall as a reminder until it finds a new home.

My advise...
Hang it on the wall.
Use it.
Make friends with those pieces you might not be so proud of.
I bet you end up liking them.

2 comments:

  1. This resonates with me-it's hard for me to up most of my writing, because I know it's not the best it could be, it often falls short of the initial conception which I had. After struggling my way through it, I often feel just kind of glad to be rid of it. And then there's reluctance to just put it up somewhere, to sort of officially introduce this creation I birthed. But, as you wrote--why I finally just do there is often a release and a transformation when I just finally capitulate. I And I can't help but wonder if this is part of the perfection/imperfection balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is beautiful! Amazing. The colors zap you, the message...calming...the detail, intricate and thoughtful. You amaze me <3

    ReplyDelete