Saturday, June 28, 2008

June Trail Keepers

Talk about a busy week. We haven't slowed down much for me to post and when we have, I just haven't felt like spending my time on the computer. On Monday, we went swimming, on Tuesday, we hung out and had lunch with the Brays and on to celebrate Luke's birthday with him. Wednesday, Spanish and the grocery, Thursday, YMCA dinner and trail keepers, and yesterday I played catch up all day...

Here are some photos from Thursday. We all went to Taquierra La Parilla (yummy Mexican Rest) before going to do the trail. 4 families. Let's see that is 8 adults and 12 children! The adults sat at one table and the kids at the other and I bet they were ready for us to get the heck out of there when we did, but it was fun! It always is.

So, here is Jennifer with a shoe - yuck! One of the kids ask, why would someone leave their shoe down there and how would that happen? It was pretty gross...

Here is the big group heading together to pick up trash. I'm always amazed at how eager the kids are to do this and how much we get. Luke and I really focused on a big spot with a lot of glass. We didn't get it all, but we got a lot of it up and we tried to get up the pieces that were sticking up so the dogs that walk on that trail wouldn't hurt the pads of their feet stepping on glass since most dogs don't wear shoes. I really loved this conversation with Luke. It was insightful and thoughtful the way he was thinking about animals hurting themselves on trash. This is how I know the message is getting across...

Here, we have Kalib and his good friend Elijah walking along the path. I don't know how much trash picking up these boys did as they walked way ahead of everyone else and were the first done, but the vibe they get on when they are together is priceless, so even if they aren't picking up trash, I know they are getting something from being there... if you look closely you might notice they are also both barefoot. They obviously weren't thinking about the glass and yes Elijah towers over Kalib, we just make them small and the Cooks make them not small. It works for me and Sarah C, so why not Elijah and Kalib.

1 comment: