Sunday, November 15, 2009

horse back riding

Jason's grandfather has been encouraging us to come out and ride the horses. He's got the saddles and everything we need to do it, but alas... I know NOTHING about riding horses, but I have ALWAYS wanted to learn. So, Jason agreed to taking us out there and giving it a try. I made plans with his sister to take some pictures of her family out there and while we were out there to ride the horses. One of the horses is pretty temperamental and you don't really know what to expect with her, the other horse is just as sweet as can be, but the overall problem with them is they don't get ridden often enough to be used to it. Gobby has told us if we show real interest in riding on a regular basis, then he will have them trained for us. Personally, I'm all about it because it's another thing I would be able to knock off my VERY long list of things I want to do in my life, ride horses regularly. So, after we got done with taking pictures, Jason got Nevada out (Biscuit is the temperamental horse) and we got to ride him some. He's really out of practice and spent a good bit of time confused, not to mention some of us had NO idea what we were doing, plus they gave me a whip to get him moving and I just don't think I have the personality to smack him with it because I just don't think he would like it. They were all naturally laughing at me about it and they swear it doesn't hurt him, but it certainly jolts him and there has to be a better way to get him moving.

India had told me all day she wasn't going to get on him. Their size intimidates her a little, well a lot... it intimidates me too, but I think it is healthy to try to overcome our fears when given a good opportunity to do so and I'm really proud of her for going ahead and climbing on even though she was super scared. She walked all the way across the yard on him with and though at first she was scared by the time they got across the yard, she was beginning to let go and really relax. She didn't get on once he had a saddle on because it was getting dark fast, but there is always next time!

P1110103

P1110107

P1110102

Kalib on the hand was totally into it. He couldn't hardly wait for his turn...
P1110096

P1110099

He also managed to catch a ride while Nevada was saddled and with his dad...
P1110111

P1110114

I'm really looking forward to getting back over there and trying again and I'm so thankful that it is something we are lucky enough to have available to us to do when we want.

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool. I've always wished for the opportunity to ride more often too- I'm so glad you guys are getting to do it! India, I am so proud of you for being brave and stepping up for the first ride! You'll be an old natural in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to ride a couple times when we were visiting our grandparents' friends in december. it was SO much fun!

    ReplyDelete