Friday, October 29, 2010

a new trick

So, I'm definitely on the mend. Went to work yesterday. It wore me out, but I survived. Going to be getting back to our regular schedule a little more next week, but all in all I'm doing GREAT!!! FINALLY!!! I've been waiting to share this with you for a few weeks now because I did right before the surgery and I haven't wanted to disrupt my status reports since I know family checks in here to find out how we are doing. It's really not THAT exciting unless you are me of course...

Anyhow, before I went into the hospital my mom bought a lot of undyed yarn just waiting to have color splashed on it. This is something I have been wanting to learn to do for quite some time, but I'm chicken and I've waited until I wasn't and had the confidence to accept that it might not work out well for me. Some people are good at things others aren't and I hate when I am not good at something I really want to be. So, I waited until I knew I could be ok if I failed and wouldn't beat myself up. I did it! Thanks to the help of my friend, Anita, who pointed me in the right direction, I dyed my own yarn! I call myself having read up on it, but when the time came, I had no idea what to do. Thankfully, Anita, is not only an amazing quilter and fabric dyer, but she also dabbles in yarn and wool rovings, and she sent me an e-mail while on a vending trip to tell me what to do. What a great lady! The kids and I mixed up my freshly bought acid dyes (these are not environmentally friendly, but for the sake of art, I can live with it for now - of course I've already started reading and thinking about how to do it naturally) and we did it. We made this yarn...


IMG_1613

IMG_1615

I turned out awesome! I haven't fully decided what I'm going to make with it yet, but I'm excited about it!

Then, the next day we decided to shoot for two more... Here they are in the pot soaking up dye...
IMG_1617

IMG_1619

And here they are all dry and wound and ready to do something with. I've started fingerless gloves out of the last one for India. The other two I haven't fully decided what I'm going to do with them...
IMG_1727

IMG_1726

IMG_1729

No comments:

Post a Comment