Friday, December 12, 2008

getting ready

In the words of India and Kalib... FINALLY. We got our tree and decorated. We aren't quite done, we still have a few things to put up, but we are getting there.

We've also been working on making ornaments for the craft market we are doing tonight. We made three different kinds of ornaments. The kids made wire angels and beaded ornanaments with meme's help and the 4 of us made paper mache stars that we put glitter all over. (They are my favorite.) Here's everybody getting ready to start gluing glitter! Talk about a mess!

Lastly, our humble tree. We decided to get a tree that would grow with us this year. We are hopefully going to leave it in the pot for a couple of years, so this year it is wonderfully small. As we were going through and picking from the many ornaments we have, we decided to only put our special ornaments on - the ones we bought for each year or made for each year. I'm happy to say that for the last five years we have made our special ornaments. We laid them all out according to year and I just think that is sooo cool. I didn't realize that until last year. The last few years we have bought wooden ornaments and painted them and you can see comparing them that the kids are getting better and better at painting them. Jason and I have ornaments dating back to 1994 when I bought my very first Christmas tree. The only year we don't have on is 1997. I think that is really cool. We have always picked one up along the way, but I guess I never really thought about it being a tradition that we do. It was really neat to pull each ornament out of the box and remember where it came from and what we were doing when we bought or made them.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

  1. Oh what a sweet little tree! I love it.

    My favorite part about decorating is getting our ornaments out too- so many of them represent special places we've been or special times with loved ones. There are some that really mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a smart idea, letting it grow with the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of the small tree! I'll have to remember that for next year....
    happy new years to you!

    ReplyDelete