Tuesday, February 23, 2010

It's in the EYE

So, I finally finished the quilt I teased everyone with months ago. I gave this piece to Chad, our photographer extraordinaire. He does such a great job photographing our artwork for a nominal price. He makes discs for me all the time because I can't seem to keep up with them and he always does it with the most thoughtful smile, like he really doesn't mind.

This quilt is a collaboration of mine and Jason's ideas coming together. Usually Jason helps me draw out my ideas and then I run with them, but sometime last year I got the idea into my head that I wanted to start taking some of Jason's pen and ink drawings and turn them into quilts and explore a different side of myself. I've really enjoyed it. I'm now working on a new one. Jason is so sweet to just let me have these and do what I want with them, but it is really fun for me. This piece in particular was awesome for me because I learned a lot about HOW I want to put quilts together. I think I have already talked about this, but I learned for myself that most of the stitching can come as the piece comes together rather than trying to do it AFTER it is layered and then I don't have to worry quite so much about what the back of the piece looks like and not to mention I can get WAY more detailed with the threads when I'm not sewing through batting and backing. I am very pleased with the quilting/ thread painting on this quilt. Not waiting until the very end really allowed me more freedom with metallic threads which I have used in the past, but I have cursed a whole lot while using them and on this one, it just came together so perfectly. Another fine detail that I really like on this quilt was the extra time I took to use green thread where the background is yellow and yellow thread where the background is green. (This is a detail most folks will never notice, but it is another instance where I go crazy with the details) I got really straight lines for the stitching by using freezer paper ironed down and sewing right next to it. Something else I learned while making this quilt. I also learned I can get almost perfect circles this way also.

Anyhow, here are the pictures!

It's In The EYE
Hubbard_0002

This is my favorite shot of this quilt. You can really see the detail of the eye and the petals AND the stitching.
Hubbard_0006

(Jason doesn't like the beads I used for the suckers, he thinks they stand out too much, but I like them! I think they add yet another dimension to the overall piece.)
Hubbard_0008

Hubbard_0011

Hubbard_0015

Hubbard_0016

No comments:

Post a Comment