Wednesday, January 19, 2011

To India on her Birthday

12

For 12 years I have been a mother.
For 12 years, I have loved someone else more than I love myself.
I have learned joy that is unexplainable in words and a love so deep that I can’t give it words or actions.
For 12 years, I have watched the father become the man I love rather than the boy.
For 12 years, my world has made sense, my life has learned purpose.

For 12 years, I have been a mother.
For 12 years I have known guilt for every wrong word spoken though
I would take none of them back for each passing moment good or bad has brought us to this day.
For 12 years, I have watched my every thought, as much as humans can, trying to put only goodness into your world.
For 12 years, I have worked very hard to be the best mother I can be.  Not because I have to, but because I WANT to.
For 12 years, I have grown into a woman.

For 12 years, I have been a mother.
I have been inspired to live and love unconditionally.
I have put pieces together to put pieces of myself together to bring about wholeness so that you too can know wholeness.
I have danced the dance and learned to love my body so that you will grow and love your body.
For 12 years, I have come to love myself just as I am so that you too can know how to love yourself

For 12 years I have changed a little every day.
I have grown.
I have felt every emotion in every moment.
I have questioned everything about myself and have learned who I want to be in this world.

For 12 years, I have been a mother.
For 12 years, you have been my angel and you have been my devil
For 12 years, you have made me question my every choice and taught me the importance of making good choices in this world.

For 12 years, I have loved a little more,
I have laughed endless laughs
I have cried tears of pure joy over watching you grow while watching me grow.
For 12 years, you have been my greatest teacher, my guru.

For 12 years, I have given more than I have ever thought possible.
And I have learned the true gift of giving.
I have made plenty of mistakes and not always done the best job possible, but I am always trying to get it right every time.
For 12 years, I have worked hard at the most rewarding work these hands have ever known.
For 12 years, I have been your mother.

Happy 12th birthday India, I love you.

1 comment: