Friday, September 11, 2009

masters academy

The kids have begun attending a program called the Master's Academy of Fine Arts. Every Thursday from 12 - 4 they spend the day learning drama, music, art history/art, and world history. We have been debating for a couple of years now whether to try to put the kids in it or not and finally have decided to take a leap of faith and go for it. I have been feeling like we just weren't doing enough around the house and though both kids are very smart and plenty motivated to learn on their own, I still cling to some structured learning in our life and I feel like Master's Academy will take some of that pressure off me to focus more on other things in their schooling that might have been slipping through the cracks. I still have the strong sense that much of the education should be predominately directed by them so that they remember what they are learning and are interested in it rather than me forcing something down their throats. This theory has worked for us for the most part, yet I am left feeling like we are still lacking something... The cool thing so far seems to be that on soooo many levels masters is creating a lot of side interests in many things and we are having a lot of dialogue and learning happening on the days that masters is not going on which has helped me to get back on the good ship of feeling confident in my home schooling endeavors. The transition to working as much as I do while homeschooling has been a difficult one, that I really FEEL like is finally getting on track. (I think more of that had to do with mom settling into a rhythm with it and accepting my own limitations than the kids feeling slighted in anyway.) This year, I'm feeling good about the goals we have set for ourselves and for the kids and I'm excited about the new learning more structured learning environment and India is reveling in the structure and the "homework" and she is so eager to have more more more and Kalib is totally digging it too. His learning style is very different from hers (one of the perks of schooling at home is I can cater to their different learning styles), but they have both already gleaned a lot in the last 2 weeks, and I am excited to see where we go from here. (It helps that MOST of their closest friends have also decided to do Master's with us...)

So, here are some pictures from their first day last week...Yes, I made a big deal out of it just like it was their first day of school (it's the closest thing we have had to that - they are even going to be taking school pictures in Oct... will any be coming your way? I don't know... depends on how much they cost.)

Kalib doing his Kalib thing
P1100489

India wishing I wasn't so obnoxious with the camera
P1100491

Last but not leastly together... We don't get too many of these anymore and I really love how the kids personalities come out in this one! They are such wonderful people and I'm so thankful for all that I learn from them.
P1100496

No comments:

Post a Comment