Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The Face

There was a time when I was afraid to put faces on the people in my quilts.  The human face has a lot to say in the expressions it puts into the world.

Faces are unique to each of us.  Even identical twins don't share exactly the same face.



Wrinkles tell the story of a person's life, the twinkle in the eye expresses joy or lack of it.  The direction of the lines around the eyes can tell you a lot about how much a person smiles.

The way a person's skin stretches in any moment reveals much of what they are thinking in that moment.  Even little twitches of the mouth and nose, or the speed at which one blinks can tell us something.  

We don't hide our emotions as well on our faces as we think we do.

All of this has been running through my head over the years.  How would I ever be able to truly express what the imagery is thinking in my quilts?  
 
Well, I still don't have a solid idea of that yet, but I am learning to experiment with thread and finding more confidence each time I work up the nerve to put one on.

I'm off to quilt!

Enjoy your day!

No comments:

Post a Comment