I was able to spend the biggest portion of the day behind my sewing machine yesterday. I often get an hour here and there, but seldom a WHOLE week day. I TRY to schedule time on my calendar to quilt to ensure long bits of time to sit and create, but I usually only plan those days on weekends.
A whole Tuesday; behind my machine. Unheard of.
Where were the kids, you ask?
Kalib started a new program called Wild Intelligence. He is out of the house for 4 hours and India was busy writing a story and playing with the puppy, so that left mom a BIG chunk of time just to sew.
What did I do with that BIG chunk of time?
I finished Ashley's pillow (YEAH!!!!) and then I immediately got back to work on the blue and red woven piece, Yab Yum.
When I last wrote about this piece I had finished up the stitching of the background and was moving onto piecing the foreground.
Here is where I left off before putting it down to work on Clara's belt and Ashley's Pillow. I had started piecing the image that will sit on top of the background.
Today I got back to work and made more flowers.
When I am ready to add a new piece, I check to make sure what I have already made fits where it is supposed to on the stencil. This step is important because everything has to all fit together perfectly just like a puzzle. If I mess up now, I will pay for it later. I take plenty of time to get it all right to begin with. I do it even though it often slows things down a little, but it is no where near as time consuming as having to take it all apart later - which I have had to do plenty of times - THIS lesson has been learned the hard way - slow and steady wins the race, right?
If it fits, then I cut the next piece of template out.
And iron it to fabric.
When I cut it out, I leave about a 1/4" all the way around since I will be turning it under or attaching it under other pieces.
I check to make sure it fits and clip where it meets the pieces around it and I remove all the corners. I also clip around any areas that will be turned under.
Using a clover fabric glue stick (which washes out as well as doesn't gum up your machine) I then turn under the edges that need to be turned under. (Quick note: I determine this based on the overall drawing and what looks more natural rather than just sewing one piece on top of the next. I also turn under any edges that will be sewn directly to the background - it saves me a lot of work later on. - This part will make more sense when I show you the whole stencil.)
I check it one more time, then glue the pieces together.
The next step is sewing, finally. I turn it over, right side up, and zig zag stitch over the two pieces being sewn together. (A little note here: I ALWAYS sew with the piece on top on my left and the piece I'm sewing to on my right. This is because I can make sure the needle comes down right on the edge of the top piece. I also use YLI invisible thread in my needle and thread that matches the piece in my bobbin.)
I turn it back over to check it to make sure I hit the edges right and that it still all fits like it should.
And... I am ready to move on to the next piece.
This is what I managed to accomplish yesterday.
It's a color bomb. Just like I like and I think it is coming along nicely.
I think I better to get to work on what I'm going to be working on after I finish this. That way, I can go ahead and start gathering supplies! I want no idle sewing time in my future.
I LOVE progress and who knows, maybe I will manage to get six pieces made this year since I set that as my goal.